One hundred and fifty-two cable ties later (plus about a dozen broken through excess force) Ivory has taken shape. Disregarding the careful instructions from the designer to start stitching at the stern and work forward I lined up the centrelines for the temporary bulkhead and worked back and forth to gradually pinch the ends together. At times it looked as if it wasn’t going to happen and that instead of a boat I would just have a bundle of sticks. Just how awful a job I did with the sabre saw is revealed by the alternatively pinched too tight and widely gapped alignment of the planks. In a couple of places the hull looks as if it was not sawn but chewed by squirrels. Some of the lacing was so tight that I fully expected the joins to explode and the hull to fly apart as soon as I stood back but it didn’t happen.
I had rushed off to the lumber yard after cutting the planks to get an additional sheet of plywood for the transoms and temporatry bulkhhead and frustrated by the lack of helpful staff simply grabbed a sheet off the stack and took it to the truck. It wasn’t till I got the planks laced up that I realized that instead of the sturdy 3/8 inch wood in the rest of the boat I had grabbed 1/4 inch plywood (and had paid too much for it). Another trip to the lumber yard? No, I scrounged around in the basement and managed to find some pieces of 1/2 or 3/8 that would do. One is russian birch plywood that is probable not exterior grade but looks great, the other a very suspicious looking piece of fir plywood. Convincing myself that the wood will be well sealed with epoxy and paint and not left in the water unduly long I might be able to get away with it (crossed fingers).
The installation of the transoms was a real trial and it looks as if there are more cable ties than wood, and more gaps than contact , but hey, all those gaps will be filled with epoxy and will look fine as long as I don’t look too closely.
Now I can stand back and begin to admire my shakey handwork. There is a bit of a twist to the hull that can be leveled up before gluing up and lots of detail work to be done but – its a boat!