Adding space to a pocket cruiser

In a 20-foot boat with 4 berths storage space is at a premium, especially if you want to do anything more than day-sail. While the Halman 20 is cleverly constructed with a fair amount of useful but awkwardly shaped space under the bunks and in the lazarette  it is not long before the food, clothes, bedding, and beverages for an extended sail start to overflow into the cabin and cockpit. Add to that the need for safety equipment, tools, spares and sails and any space gained is a bonus. I wasn’t going to be able to make the boat any longer so I had to find space within.

IMG_3027Both the Halman and her sister design the Nordica had room under the cockpit for a small inboard motor although most owners opted for the outboard model. That left a bit of a gaping hole behind the cabin steps, usually occupied by the battery and little else. Because it was open to the bilge at the rear and was the space for cockpit drains and the bilge pump it was seldom used effectively. Long thin things like the deck scrub brush could be jammed in alongside the cockpit sole supports but getting anything in and out of the space was a real pain.

IMG_3029Behind the battery was the Halman “Black Hole” where any water that came in through the open hatch ended up along with every dropped screw, nut, bolt, cotter pin that slipped from my fingers but wasn’t lost over the side during rigging and repairs.  Although my hull is perfectly sound and dry the bilge had become a bit of a rusty pool which I finally drained and dried last year leaving an unattractive void that I certainly didn’t want anything else falling into.  Here you can see my fairly useless boarding ladder creeping to the edge of the pit.

IMG_3033I had no desire to move the battery and wiring which seemed to be well placed for both access and balance so the solution was to build a platform above the battery and extending across the cabin and back to the cockpit supports.  I also brought it forward along the sides of the steps to give an area to set things down when the cabin table was not in place. With battens across the front and back to keep things from falling off I ended up with about 4 square feet of IMG_3039additional, accessible space without taking away any of the scarce area on the cabin floor.   Most things on the shelf can be removed without taking out the cabin steps but that is not a real barrier as I use the space for things I need to be accessible but which are not in constant use.  It is a perfect for my safety equipment box  with flares, first aid kit, fog horn etc.  It is a good spot if I have to direct passengers or crew to find it. The flare box was formerly buried in one of the lockers under the cabin cushions. I also have my tool bag in this location as I am rarely in need of it when underway. Another box holds some the miscellaneous bits which normally roll off the galley shelves as soon as the boat is heeled. and there is still space left for me to put down my coffee mug.

IMG_3043

Vee-berth black hole looking from above toward stern.

The other area of unused storage is right in the bow of the boat under the vee-berth.  While not huge, what storage space is available is rendered useless owing to the danger of anything placed there falling into another narrow hole which extends back what seems like several feet as a sort of cave.  I suspect that his may have been designed as a chain locker but is completely inaccessible  owing to the placement of the water tank above it. I spent  a claustrophobic hour trying to retrieve a wrench I had dropped into the hole and discovered a trove of tools, fittings and toiletries which previous owners had abandoned to the hull gods over the years.

Vee-berth locker with black hole closed.

Vee-berth locker with black hole closed.

Here the solution was much simpler. Just deck the damn thing over.  By placing a floor in the locker I can now use it without the undue worry of items being sucked into the void.  I don’t want to put too much weight this far forward  so I use the space for bulky items  such as spare life jackets.  It is somewhat awkward to reach as one has to remove the vee-berth cushions to get access to the space but it probably results in about three cubic feet I couldn’t use before.

Neither one of these fixes are permanent as I suspect there may still be occasions when I need to get into the spaces. But they have reduced the pressure to simply stuff things into the corners of the cabin.  As you can see they are somewhat rough carpentry but before fitting out next year I may have the opportunity to fine tune the placement and stain or paint the wood for protection.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s