Died peacefully near Canceaux Cove on Charlottetown Harbour after a lengthy decline, aged 174 years. The Rocky Point Wharf had been a fixture of the Charlottetown Harbour since 1847 when funds were raised by public subscription to build the wharf. Earlier ferry services to the area has simply landed on the beach at various places along the shore. The wharf had served as a gathering point for South Shore residents as far away as DeSable for generations as they waited for the ferries that carried them back and forth across the harbour, especially during market days. The wharf was robust and well maintained until the 1960’s when its role was usurped by the West River Bridge at Meadowbank. Since then the wharf suffered from neglect and gradually fell into poor condition. Following decades of ignoring the wharf it was put out of its misery by bureaucrats from the Provincial Government late in 2020. The site of the wharf has been replaced with a large (and expensive) rock breakwater which seems to protect nothing. At the end of the breakwater the rubble from the wings of the wharf, which had formerly protected the docked ferry can still be seen, especially at low tide. Rocky Point wharf was predeceased by related structures such as the York Point Ferry Wharf at Francklyn Point and the Southport Ferry Wharf at Minchin Point. Visiting hours every day 2 to 4 and 7 to 9. Please omit flowers.
The Rocky Point Wharf has been the subject of a number of Sailstrait postings including a close up view of the structure in 2013 (click here), postings relating to the ferries which docked at Rocky Point such as the Fairview (here) and earlier boats (here), and Rocky Point as a holiday destination (here)
Although not frequently visited in the last few years the wharf was a symbol of Charlottetown’s marine heritage and will be missed.