Tag Archives: Borden Yacht Club

“The Prettiest Boat on the Straits”

large-pics001

Sailing Yacht Goldfinch ca 1937. Photographer and location unknown. This print from the Mac Irwin album. A hand coloured edition of the same print is held by the Stright family.

On 4 August 1936 the Guardian carried a short article titled “Smart Racing Yacht Launched in Summerside.”  Mistakenly identified as the Goldfish in the article, the new boat was launched with a number of yachting enthusiasts in attendance as she slipped from her cradle. The Goldfinch was owned by Ray Tanton and Captain James Stright and she was to go on to be one of the fastest boats to sail out of Summerside.

The boat was Marconi rigged and carried 300 feet of canvas. She was 25 feet 6 inches in overall length but only 5 feet 10 inches in the beam. With her low freeboard and tiny cabin she had a sleek appearance. Finely finished with a white hull and natural wood deck and cabin she looked every inch a racing boat.  She fit within the Yacht Racing Association of Northumberland Strait measurements for class 4 boats and within days of her launch she was entered in races at the Shediac regatta.  This was the first regatta under the YRANS banner.

She arrived back in Summerside with the Commodore Morris Trophy for Class 4 yachts and the C.Y.C. trophy for placing second in the handicap races.  She had been scratch boat in all of her races. The Summerside correspondent for the Guardian said that she was said to be “the prettiest boat on the Straits and the fastest in her class.”

In 1937 the YRANS regatta was held in Pictou early in July and once again Goldfinch had an excellent showing.  She won the Class 4 races but in addition took the Commodore Weldon Cup for the highest aggregate point total in the two-day meet.  Later in the month she participated in a regatta held by the Borden Yacht Club coming first in one race and second in another. While sailing to an August regatta in Shediac she broke a chain plate and this resulted in a broken mast.

Goldfinch was featured on the cover of a 1940 tourism brochure

Goldfinch was featured on the cover of a 1940 tourism brochure

August of 1938 saw a closely contested series of races at the Summerside Yacht Club when Goldfinch was nosed out of first place by a Shediac boat, Cossack helmed by Bill Parsons. Goldfinch continued to win races placing first in her class in the Shediac Bay regatta in 1940 and coming in third behind Cossack and Dan Patch in the 1941 Shediac Bay Regatta.

With the hiatus during the Second World War it is hard to track Goldfinch. The account of the 1941 races has her sailing out of Shediac but this may be in error. At the 1946 YRANS regatta, again in Shediac and the first to be held after the end of the war, Goldfinch won her class but was listed as being sailed out of Pictou by George Hill. Few Class 4 boats were built after the introduction of the smaller Class 3  yachts and the Goldfinch may have simply run out of competitors after the war.

Besides being a designer and sailor Stright was also active in both the Summerside Yacht Club and the Yacht Racing Association of Northumberland Strait. He served for several years as Fleet Captain and Official Measurer of the Summerside Club in the late 1930s, and was Commodore of the Club in 1939. In 1946 he was elected Vice- President of the Yacht Racing Association.

Stright came by his knowledge of sailing vessels in the traditional manner. During and after the Great War he sailed the schooner Bonus (sometimes spelled Bowness) out of Victoria and Summerside, often carrying coal from Pictou to firms such as R.T. Holman.

The Goldfinch was one of a number of yachts designed by James Stright. In 1935 he was responsible for the Agatha owned by Lawrence Gerlevson which raced in Summerside and Borden. During the Summerside race Capt. Stright allowed the Bedeque ferry to be used as the committee boat so it is likely that he owned that vessel.

In 1936 Capt. Stright was noted as the designer of the Rainbow, a 35 foot cabin cruiser built by Paul Harding of Summerside. In 1937 Stright built a 22 footer to compete in Class 3 races, probably the Woodpecker, sailed by Ray Tanton.  Another Class 3 boat credited to Stright was Strimac which, along with Woodpecker,  was still being sailed in Baddeck , Cape Breton in the 1980s. In 1938 he was awarded the contract for a new tender for the C.G.S. Brant.

From 1935 to 1938 Capt. Stright had the contract to operate the ferry linking Summerside with Bedeque but there was controversy as to whether the service was needed except in the spring of the year when roads were impassable and the service was discontinued in 1938.

In 1945 Capt. Stright moved to Pictou and worked with his sons Trueman and Ivan in what would become Stright-MacKay, a company still serving marine industries and boating enthusiasts. Stright- MacKay has been a strong supporter of the Northumberland Challenge race series as well as local Pictou Yacht Club activities. Several of James Stright’s descendants have carried on the sailing tradition notably the late Trueman (Trap) Stright and his son Billy Stright who sails out of the Pictou Yacht Club as well as Ivan’s son, Rod Stright, sailing out of the Dartmouth Yacht Club.

This is one of a series of postings based on photos found in the Mac Irwin albums.

 

 

Advertisements

The Borden Yacht Club – Who knew?

Crossing the Confederation Bridge one can still catch a glimpse of the extensive breakwaters which once sheltered the steamers and the rail and vehicle transfer ramps for the Port Borden – Cape Tormentine ferry service linking Prince Edward Island with the mainland.  Today the site is occupied by a fish processing plant and access to the dock is closed. Nearby is a fishing dock used by the seasonal lobster fishers. One rarely spots a sailing boat (or any other type of pleasure boat) except in the rare case where one comes in to seek shelter from the storm.

However 75 years ago it was a different vista. The impressive steam-powered ramps towered over the wharf and the S.S. Charlottetown stood ready for its schedule of regular voyages to the mainland with the S.S. Prince Edward Island tied up in reserve. More surprisingly was the collection of yachts which made up the fleet of the Borden Yacht Club.

A number of races involving Borden boats had been held in 1935 and at the end of the season it was reported that yachtsmen in that location would be forming a club in the following year.  In 1936 yachts from Borden participated in the Shediac Regatta and the club was mentioned with the Summerside races.  In May of 1937 the launch of the 30-foot Juanita built by Mayor Leard for J. Leroy Sherry brought the fleet up to 5 boats as the Juanita joined Capt. McGuire’s yawl Maple Leaf, J. Athol Woodside’s Noreen, Mayor Leard’s North Wind and Lady Sybil owned by Thos. Paquet.

Borden2The Club was a participant in the formation of the Northumberland Strait Yacht Racing Association in 1937 and prior to the first regatta of the Association to be held in Pictou, Borden Commodore A.P. Cerretti announced the creation of the first trophy for inter-port racing on the Strait. The Terraplane Cup was to be awarded as a challenge trophy to be raced for from Borden to the port holding the NSYRA annual regatta. until won by the same owner three times.  For 1937 the race would be from Borden to Pictou beginning on 3 July.  In 1938 the race course was from Borden to Charlottetown and in 1939 from Borden to Shediac.  Terraplane was the name of a car built by the Hudson Motor Car Company. The name was also used by the Borden baseball team of the same era and may have been linked to a car dealer who provided sponsorship for both the team and the yacht race.

The annual meeting of the Borden Club early in 1938 proclaimed a successful year. Borden alternated with the Summerside Yacht Club in the hosting of races and the success of the NSYRA for regattas and long distance races to Shediac and Pictou were noted as triumphs for the new organization. The 1937 Terraplane Cup had been won by Zephyr, designed and built by Borden Mayor Willard Leard. It appears from the meeting notes that most of the officers of the Club were associated with the Canadian National Railway Ferry operations at Borden.

On the eve of the 1938 Terraplane Cup race more than fifty visiting yachtsmen sat down to a banquet and dance at Borden’s Abegweit Hotel. The dinner followed a race under the auspices of the Borden Yacht Club which was won by the Goldfinch of the Summerside Yacht Club under the helm of Capt. Stright.  Early the next morning 20 yachts departed for the NSYRA Regatta in Charlottetown.

BordenBoats from Charlottetown. Summerside, Shediac and Borden were present at the 1939 Borden Annual Regatta. Two races were held, one for Classes 4, 5, and 6 boats and a race for the smaller Class 3 boats which were the standard boats for the Northumberland Strait Yacht Racing Association. The meet was followed by a banquet at the Abegweit Hotel where the yachtsmen were treated to speeches from Commodore Cerretti from Borden. Commodore Morris of Charlottetown, Commodore Campbell from Summerside and Commodore Storey from Shediac as well as Captain John Read of the S.S. Charlottetown and Captain Basil Kelly of the Canadian Government Steamer Brant.

The documentary record of the Borden Yacht Club seems to come to an end after the 1939 season. Certainly yachting activities were suspended in many ports for the duration of the war but there is no evidence that they were resumed in Borden after 1945.

I would be glad to have any other information about the Borden Club including photos of any of the boats mentioned.  The Terraplane Cup  appears to have joined the large fleet of missing yachting trophies.