Tag Archives: Pinaud

Charlottetown Regatta Day 1935

A tight start. A variety of rigs and sail types were evident in the racing fleets before the formation of the Yacht Racing Association of Northumberland Straits. Irwin Photo album

Long before there was a Race Week at the Charlottetown Yacht Club the organization was hosting events which attracted sailors from across the region. In fact, the 1935 regatta had entries from a number of ports along Northumberland Strait – but only one entry from the host club!  In preparation for the mid-August competition boats arrived in Charlottetown from Pictou, Shediac, Montague, Summerside, and Borden. Shediac, which was the hot spot for sail races in the mid-1930s, sent fourteen boats to the Charlottetown races.  Pictou was represented by five and another three yachts came down the shore from Summerside and Borden. Some of these small boats sailed on their own or were towed by yacht club members with powerboats. Others may have been carried by the C.G.S. Brant which assisted many of the yacht clubs during the period.

The sole Charlottetown boat was the P-No sailed by Jack King, a yacht that had raced in Charlottetown for at least ten years.  This sloop was designed by Walter Pinaud who went on to be a yacht designer of significance in Cape Breton.  The Charlottetown Yacht Club did not have a clubhouse or ownership their own wharf at the time.

Commodore Fred Morris’ power yacht Elizabeth served as a viewing platform for spectators and officials. This photo shows both modern Marconi rigs as well as a variety of gaff and sprit rigs in earlier boats still part of the racing fleet. Irwin Photo Album.

Saturday was race day with two races scheduled with the possibility of a third depending on wind conditions and the timing of the other races. The course was one which was often used by Charlottetown yachtsmen; start off Carvell’s wharf, Government Point black buoy (now Middleground), Rosebank Buoy, a mark boat anchored off the Railway Wharf and the finish line at Carvell’s.  To make sure that visiting boats were not mistakenly off-course the fleet was preceded to each mark by Joe MacDonald  in his powerboat.

Light winds were the order of the day for the 1935 regatta. Irwin photo album.

As it turned out the winds failed to cooperate with the race organizers and only two races were held. A very slow first race was followed by a second only marginally faster and boats seemed to drift over the finish line.  A third race was cancelled after the start as the winds fell to a whisper and none of the nineteen boats completed the course. However race officials were able to declare a regatta winner on the basis of the first two races.  Onawa, sailed by Gordon and Eric Coffin sailing out of Montage was the winner with Charlottetown’s P-No in second place. Third position went to a Shediac boat, Vestra helmed by Charles Fawcett and in fourth place was another Montague boat , Dr. L.A. Johnson’s Ghost.

Although there was little participation from Charlottetown yachts the 1935 regatta was one of the factors  leading to increased interest in yacht racing in the Island capital and was a precursor to the formation of the Yacht Racing Association of Northumberland Straits and its successful series of inter-club races in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

The Pinauds and the Charlottetown – Cape Breton Sailing Connection

RCBYC002A few postings ago I mentioned the Pinaud family in connection with the Coronation Cup challenger CabotThanks to Neil F. Libbey I am able to add somewhat to the story. Libbey is descended from one of the early members of the Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club and has written a very interesting history of that club from its founding in 1093 up to the end of the Second Word War.  The Pinaud family is very much tied into the history of that club and has made an impact on sailing in the region.

In Libbey’s 2003 book Portside, he states the following:

In 1906, Walter Pinaud and his brother, John (Jack) Pinaud, were lured from their native Charlottetown, to establish Pinaud Brothers Yacht Yard in Westmount [across the harbour from Sydney] to serve the needs of Club members. The Pinaud Brothers had received their early boat design and construction training under their father, Martin Pinaud, (1852-1907), who was born in France. He emigrated to P.E.I., and marries Anna MacDonald of Scotchford, P.E.I. . The Pinauds has six children, John (Jack) in 1881, Angelena in 1882, Walter in 1885, Wilfred in 1889, Mary in 1895, Joseph in 21897, and F. Alphonse in 1899. 

Martin Pinaud became a well-known Charlottetown boat builder and instructed his sons in the trade. John (Jack) also trained at the George F. Lawley Yards in Boston  and , in turn, instructed his younger brother Walter. After only a few years in Westmount, Jack Pinaud left the partnership to moved [sic] to the United States to work for an American boat building company leaving Walter to continue in the business on his own.  

Walter worked closely with RCBYC Commodore George H. Duggan to design boats for the Club and its members. With the increase in his reputation he became known to Alexander Graham Bell who was working on hydrofoil boats and was hired to run the boatyard at Bell Laboratories  near Baddeck.   Pinaud established his own yard in Baddeck in 1926 and designed and built both sail and power boats there with his sons Ralph and Fred  until his death in 1968.  The Charlottetown Yacht Club was home to a number of Pinaud boats including the Simmond’s family motor-sailer Nyanza and the Wanderer  which had been designed by Eldridge McInnis and built in the Pinaud yard in 1963.

Walter’s brother, Jack Pinaud, was probably designing yachts as early as 1901. In that year his father built as 30-footer described in the 2 May 1901 Guardian as “different from anything in the harbour”. Two years later Jack was living in Sydney and his father was building a yacht to his design for Walter Pinaud, Lawrence Gaudet and Augustus Aylyard. This was a centreboard sloop 36 feet 9 inches overall. The same year Jack delivered a gasoline yacht built for individuals in Sydney and Mitchell’s Book Store was displaying plans for a 38 foot auxiliary cruising yacht Jack had designed for Walter Crowe, ex-mayor of Sydney.

In 1904 Martin Pinaud launched the Hiawatha which had been designed by Jack. This was a large fin-keel boat with a centerboard giving a ten-foot keel, 33 feet overall with a 22 foot waterline.  She had a ten-foot cabin. The owners were Thomas Riggs, Aubrey White and W.N. Ducheman and was skippered by Walter Pinaud.  The Hiawatha was a fast boat and took the Hillsboro Boating Club trophy in three of the four years it was contested. The design of the Hiawatha and the Cabot was followed by the Berys built in 1906 by Martin Pinaud to Jack’s design for Walter Hall of Sydney.  The Guardian noted” She is of the skimming dish type such as Micmac and Cabot, but is not so near the scow type as the latter, having a well-pointed bow and easy bilges and is more suitable for comfort, not being intended principally for speed.”

Hillsboro Boating Club Trophy . Walter Pinaud at right. Note dog smoking a pipe, centre. This is probably the crew of the Hiawatha ca. 1906 Photo courtesy of Neil F. Libbey

Hillsboro Boating Club Trophy . Walter Pinaud at right. Note dog smoking a pipe, centre. This is probably the crew of the Hiawatha in 1906 when the Hiawatha won the Cup for the third time and retained the trophy.
Photo courtesy of Neil F. Libbey

By 1913 Jack Pinaud was in Boston associated with well-known designer John G. Alden and had designed another Coronation Cup contestant for a yachtsman in Cape Breton.  A later Pinaud-designed boat was the Pinaud (also called the P-No) named for her designer by Charlottetown owners Jack King and Arthur Campbell.  In 1925 she won the Wellner Cup, the J.O. Hyndman Cup and the B.Roy Holman Cup.  The Guardian noted that at the presentation ceremonies Pinaud “an old Charlottetown yachtsman” was in the audience and praised the work of the Charlottetown Yacht Club.