Tag Archives: tug

Stilts spark stampede! – Saved from drowning at the harbour mouth!! – Thrilling bovine rescue!!!

 

Loading cattle from Buntain & Bell wharf. Keystone stereo image detail.

On Thursday afternoon, as several cattle purchased by Blake Bros., in Southport were being driven up Prince Street, one of the younger animals became alarmed at the actions of a boy on stilts, and started to run. The others quickly followed, and soon all were down the wharf again. Here two of the cattle jumped overboard and started to swim out the harbor. The captain of the dredge saw the occurrence and with several of his men put out in a boat after the frenzies animals, one of which they captured off Rosebank and towed back to town. The tug Nelson put out after the other animal and overtook it near the harbor’s mouth and brought it back to town. Neither of the animals were worse for their experience, although one of them was in the water for about two hours. The Messrs Blake greatly appreciate the prompt and kindly action of the captain and crew of the Nelson and captain and crew of the dredge.

So read an article tin the Daily Examiner for 5 November 1898.  It is a reminder that the sight of beasts on the streets of Charlottetown was hardly an unusual event until well into the beginning of the 20th century. As there was no practical way of transporting them other than rail cars, cattle would be driven into Charlottetown from the nearby country farms, or as in this instance, unto the Southport ferry, or one of the river steamers, and thence through the city streets to an abattoir or one of the many butcher shops in the city where they would be slaughtered and hung to age.

For decades Blake Brothers was one of the most important and well-known of the city’s butchers. The firm had been started by John Blake in the 1830s and continued under the management of his sons Patrick and Morris Blake who formed a partnership in 1865. They had one of the largest stalls at the Market House as well as facilities elsewhere in the city and were famed for the quality of their meat, frequently taking prizes at the Provincial Exhibition. Both brothers were active in politics; Patrick as a Conservative and Morris as a Liberal.  Patrick moved to Cape Breton in in 1902 but the firm continued into the 1920s although Morris had died in 1919.  Blake Brothers developed an export market for beef at an early date, shipping cattle throughout the region, especially to Newfoundland. Before the widespread use of refrigeration the only way to ship meat was live on the hoof.  In 1880 they sent 108 fat cattle, with an average weight of 1350 pounds  on the Island-owned steamship, the Prince Edward, to the British market. In addition Blake Bros. had an active provisioning business providing food for visiting steamers and warships. It is not clear if the swimming cattle were destined for export or the domestic table but their brief freedom was no doubt merely an interruption on their way to the table.

The tug Nelson was one of a small fleet owned by the Batt brothers. She had been built in1896 in Charlottetown and registered the following year.  She was a small wooden vessel, only 50 feet in length, 13 wide  and drawing only 5 feet.  The bovine rescue in the harbour is one of only a handful of mentions she gets in the press.   She did not remain long in Charlottetown and sometime before 1906 her ownership had passed to a Quebec firm. She was wrecked and taken off the register in 1906.

This story of beef afloat precedes by several years another epic worth noting. The story of the swimming cattle is a thin tale indeed compared to the later and  much repeated and embellished saga of the bull, the bugle and the bridge which was recounted countless times by Walter O’Brien of “The Bristol Notes” fame.  As this blog deals mainly with verifiable phenomena I will not try and repeat it here although it is (if true) an amazing tale. For details consult any avid reader of the Charlottetown Guardian’s Bristol Notes.

Henry Aitken to the rescue

From his house just above the village of Pownal Nathaniel Gay had a fine view out over the low shores of Crown Point and out into Pownal Bay towards Governors Island. On Tuesday morning 28 September 1875 after a night in which the wind blew particularly hard he spotted a vessel stranded on the reef running east from the Island. What made the sight more urgent was that he was able to see men clinging to the rigging as the gale force winds from the West North West tore at the grounded ship.

Chart of Governors Island and Pownal Bay 1869. To reach the Mary Kate on the east reef of the Island the Henry Aitken would have had to go around the Island to the south to avoid the Squaw Point reef.

There was nothing he could do from the shore and the few boats which might be found at Pownal Wharf or along the shore were too small to be of any assistance so he headed along the Georgetown Road towards Charlottetown seven miles to the ferry at Southport where he likely would have had to wait for a boat. He crossed the Hillsborough River and raised the alarm with officials in the city.  Luckily the tug Henry Aitken  was tied to the dock and its owner William Batt readily agreed to attempt to get to the wreck although seas were running high and the gale blowing full force.  The Henry Aitken was an almost new vessel having been built by William H. Batt and launched in the fall of 1874. However as it sat at dockside the tug was low on coal and lacked a boat suitable to get to the wreck which was in shallow waters which the Henry Aitken could not safely enter. Coaling of the steamer began immediately and enquiries were made for a boat.  Both the Princess of Wales and the St. Lawrence of the P.E.I. Steam Navigation Company were in dock at the time but there was confusion about a lifeboat as the captain of the passenger steamer was concerned about an unknown crew manning the lifeboat. In the delay a boat was secured from Peake Bros.  Five volunteers came forward from those on the wharf at the time and together with the tug’s Captain Robertson, Frank Batt, William Batt, Richard Hayes and Nathaniel Gay  set out on their dangerous mission.  It was now three o’clock, Many hours having passed without an update on the shipwrecked crew, while Nathaniel Gay made his way to town and the time it took for coaling and preparation. No one was certain that the crew of the stricken vessel had been able to stay aboard, or if the vessel was still afloat.

The Henry Aitken was 60 feet long and displaced 38 tons and she had a powerful engine but even she struggled with the conditions. As they left the limited shelter of the harbour waves broke over the tug and water poured through the hatches. Captain Robertson kept two pumps steadily at work and still had to resort to bailing to keep the waters from quenching the fires. The lifeboat in tow was swamped three times by the seas and had to be recovered and emptied. The Henry Aitken approached as close as the captain dared and the lifeboat was launched. The volunteers pulled towards the wreck with alacrity and were able to haul aboard the crew of the schooner who had been lashed to the rigging to prevent being swept into the raging seas.

As with many small coasting vessels there was a small crew with only four aboard; Edward Walsh, the master, two crew, Alex Hamilton and Patrick Kirwin, and a ship’s boy George Wood. All were exhausted, especially the boy, from having been exposed on the endangered ship without shelter but they began to recover once aboard the tug, which immediately began its return to the safety of the harbour, reaching the wharf about seven in the evening. The vessel was the Mary Kate bound inwards from Cape Breton with a cargo of limestone. She was little different from the dozens of small vessels which kept Charlottetown supplied with bulk cargos such as limestone and coal and carried away Island produce to nearby ports.  The name was common and there were several Mary Kates that visited Charlottetown in the early 1870s. One was owned in Charlottetown by W.W. Lord and D. Miller but it is not clear if this was the one which came to grief on Governors Reef.

The report of the incident in the Patriot newspaper concluded; “Too much cannot be said in praise of the brave men who risked their lives on that wild evening to succor their fellow-creatures in distress and we trust that they may receive a substantial reward for their gallant conduct.”

The storm was not the disaster that other storms such as the August gale of 1873* had been but several vessels were reported ashore in Egmont Bay and near Seacow Head and on the Nova Scotia shore.

The following year the Dominion government paid William Batt a reward of $150 for the use of the tug and hire of eight men to rescue the crew of the Mary Kate while the government also paid to clothe the shipwrecked sailors and pay their passage home. The Henry Aitken continued to provide tug and steamer services in the harbour of Charlottetown and in Northumberland Strait until 1889 when she was broken up and taken off the shipping register.

*An excellent account of storms during the period can be found in Ed MacDonald’s “The August Gale and the Arc of Memory on Prince Edward Island” in The Island Magazine Number 56 Fall/Winter 2004

 

Tugging and Towing – The Story of the William Aitken

 

The William Aitken. This may be a builder’s photo as the rocky shore locates the picture in Nova Scotia. Photo: Public Archives and Records Office

While it is easy to imagine the romance of the sea when looking at a picture of a full-rigged ship or a proud steamer it is harder to do so when faced with a tugboat. These vessels however were an essential part of Charlottetown harbour activity for more than a hundred years beginning at the mid-point of the 19th century.

Tugs did much more than simply pull barges or push steamers into place at the dock. They were an essential of the nautical infrastructure of the harbour and the Strait.  One of the best known of the 19th and 20th century tugs was the William Aitken.

The William Aitken was built in Yarmouth Nova Scotia by George W. Johnson, of the Burrell Johnson Iron works who supplied the engines for a number of other boats associated with Prince Edward Island including the Harland, the Magdalen and the tug Islander. The wooden vessel was launched in 1887 and the registration was changed to Charlottetown two years later but she was probably operating from Charlottetown from the year of her launch.  As tugs go the William Aitken was a decent size; 81 feet long, 18 feet wide and had a gross tonnage of 75 tons.  She was powered by a compound steam engine which generated 70 horsepower giving her a speed of about 9 knots. She had a deckhouse with the engine room, galley and dining room and an elevated wheelhouse. Below decks was a cabin with 12 berths and a hold with a freight capacity of 40 tons.

Screen Shot 01-26-18 at 07.36 PMIt is not entirely clear where the name came from. The owners of the ship were the Batt brothers, William H., George E. and Frank C. Batt but there is not clear connection to the Aitken family. A William Henry Aitken was a prominent businessman in Charlottetown at the time and the tug may have been named for him.  Compounding the mystery is the name of an earlier tug owned by the Batt Brothers. The Henry Aitken was another wooden tug which was built in Charlottetown in 1874. Somewhat smaller at 60 feet and 38 tons she was broken up and taken off the register in 1889 so it is likely that the William Aitken was her replacement. The Guardian, ever ready to award accolades noted in 1891 that the vessel was “not surpassed by any tug-boat in the Maritime Provinces for power” although it is hard to imaging that the ports of Halifax and Saint John would not have bigger boats.

Tug in Charlottetown Harbour. Detail from 1878 birds eye view of Charlottetown.

Tug in Charlottetown Harbour. Detail from 1878 birds eye view of Charlottetown. This could be the Henry Aitken.

The William Aitken arrived in the harbour at the close of the age of sail but there were still a large number of schooners serving the port, especially when handling bulk cargo such as produce, lumber, coal and limestone. Few of these sailing vessels had auxiliary engines so tugs were often needed to bring them into the wharves.  Tugs and other steamers were also used to get sailing vessels up and down the narrow rivers leading from the harbour. Ships launched in Mt. Stewart and area were often towed to Charlottetown for completion and fitting out.  In addition, it was not unusual for sail vessels to be towed to and from the harbour mouth when faced with unfavourable tides or winds. The building of the Hillsborough Bridge meant that tugs were needed more than ever as negotiating the narrow gap of the swing span was very difficult for a large vessel under sail. The William Aitken was not alone in the harbour. In 1900 for instance, the fleet of small towing vessels included the May Queen, the T.A. Stewart, and the Fred M. Batt in addition to the Aitken. Even the harbour ferries were occasionally pressed into service towing ships from the wharves to the open water.

However the span of duties of the William Aitken went far beyond the tugging and towing. In its life it was more of a general purpose vessel and was often referred to as a “steamer” rather than a “tug”.  She was a general salvage vessel towing a disabled ship from Canso to the marine slip in Pictou in 1892, freeing a coal schooner from the ice at Governor’s Island in 1898, floating the barge Grandee off the sands of Miscouche a year later.  In 1905 she was in the Magdalen Islands assisting a vessel ashore on the sands. In 1918 she hauled another coal schooner off the rocks at Governor’s Island and in 1920 freed the schooner Minnie Mae from the shore at Murphy’s Point just inside the harbour. In 1898 she was handling small cargos taking 3000 bushels of oats from Summerside to Charlottetown. The next year saw her taking 120 barrels of oysters from Summerside to Cape Traverse and in 1901 she sailed to Sydney carrying a large boiler built by Bruce Stewart & Co.  She had a contract to tow a timber raft from Pugwash with material for the Hillsborough Bridge in the same year. In 1912 she was employed by the Anglo-American Telegraph Company to try to fix a break in the undersea cable between the Capes.  In 1918 it was the William Aitken that towed the Columbus replica Santa Maria from Charlottetown to Montreal on its way back to Chicago.  She was often contracted to the Dominion government for marine duties such as retrieving navigation buoys that had broken loose from their moorings.   When in late 1912 the ferry Hillsborough had to be taken off the route for repairs it was the William Aitken that provided service until the ice closed the route in mid-January.

After 1910 much of her work was in connection with the Dominion Government dredges. These “works on a barge” had to be shifted from harbour to harbour and the William Aitken was kept busy with these transits and also served as a tender moving scows and barges for the dredging activity.

The William Aitken with an excursion party aboard, probably somewhere up the Hllsborough River

The William Aitken with an excursion party aboard, probably somewhere up the Hillsborough River. The only concession to passenger safety seems to be a single life ring on the upper railing. It is interesting to note that this photo shows sails bent to the two masts, which are not even shown on the earlier picture.

Throughout the period the tug, like most of the other steamers in the harbour was available for charter for excursion trips and many church and social groups were carried off to tea parties and socials with the thrill of an “ocean voyage” across the harbour or up one of the rivers. The William Aitken was allowed by the steamboat inspectors to carry 40 passengers.

As a utilitarian vessel, the William Aitken was seldom mentioned except bare facts in reference to her work but at least once she did cause a journalist to rise to what, in the Daily Examiner at least, passed for eloquence. Wednesday December 16 1896:

On Monday morning the report was telephoned from Fort Augustus that the East River was free of ice as far up as Hickey’s wharf, and that from there to Haggarty’s the ice was thin and of no solidity.  Relying on the truth of this report the tug “William Aitken” left here for the purpose of towing down the schooner “FOAM” frozen in at Haggarty’s wharf.

Unfortunately the report of the condition of the river was not justified by facts, for when the mouth of Johnston’s River was reached the ice was found solid and in abundance.  From there to Haggarty’s wharf the ice was firm and solid; in many places as much as five inches thick.  Not withstanding this state of affairs the tug battled nobly with the ice.  She pushed through it and crushed it down while it ground under her with a sound resembling the grumbling of thunder.  Now and again when the ice of a firmer and more unyielding composition was met, the noble boat straining with all her might, would force herself up on it, crush it for a foot or so in front of her, then leap at it almost as a tiger would spring on it’s prey.

This, if I may term it, “struggle of giants” was maintained all the way from Johnston’s River to Haggarty’s wharf, a distance of about five miles.  In all the long and fierce combat the tug never stopped.  True, her speed was often reduced to a very low rate but still she was always forcing her way ahead.

She got the vessel and brought her to Town safe and unharmed.  It can with truth be said that there is not another boat in the lower Provinces, with the exception of the Stanley, that could force the ice as the William Aitken did on Monday.  The ice was bound solid between the two shores of the river.  It was not as would be the case in an open sea where was room to push the ice out of the way.  Here there was no chance to do anything of the kind, everything was jammed solid.

Captain Batt had interests in a number of other vessels during the period including the Amherst, a 35-year-old steamer half again as big as the William Aitken that he acquired in 1912. The tug itself is seldom referenced after 1920. Batt died in 1925 and three years later the registry was closed on the William Aitken “deemed unseaworthy, dismantled and broken up in Charlottetown…”

I am indebted to Ron Smith for the reference to the William Aitken and her ice breaking on the Hillsborough in 1896.